About the Episode
In this episode of the Hope + Help Podcast, host Christine Chappell interviews Eric Schumacher about his book, Ours: Biblical Comfort for Men Grieving Miscarriage. Some of the questions addressed in this interview are:
• What are some thoughts or emotions that might take men by surprise when walking through a miscarriage?
• Why does viewing a miscarried baby as an actual child (instead of a “potential” child) help men to process their loss?
• How can men think about the helplessness and uncertainty that swells post-miscarriage from a biblical perspective?
• What can men know about what Jesus is going in the midst of their grief?
• How can men fight against the temptation to despair post-miscarriage?
• If children are a reward from the Lord, then is miscarriage and/or infertility a punishment from the Lord?
• How might men process the anger they may be feeling post-miscarriage?
• How does the hope and help of Jesus Christ offer comfort to men grieving miscarriage?
About the Guest
Eric Schumacher is an author, podcaster, songwriter, and pastor. Eric earned a degree in communications from the University of Northern Iowa and an M.Div. in Biblical and Theological Studies from The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary. He is currently pursuing a master’s degree in Marriage, Family, and Individual Counseling from Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary. He serves as a pastor at Grand Avenue Baptist Church of Ames, where he is a member. Eric and his wife Jenny live in Iowa with their five children.
About the Book
This 31-day devotional gives biblical comfort and practical support to men processing miscarriage. The loss of a baby in the womb can leave the father reeling, as well as the mother. He may feel confused, helpless, lonely, deeply sad, or just numb.
As readers draw alongside Jesus in the pages of Luke’s Gospel, they’ll find help to process their grief and to address questions they may be too afraid to ask. There’s also lots of practical help on how to care both for themselves and for their family in the aftermath of miscarriage.
Eric Schumacher writes with sympathy and compassion as someone who has experienced the grief of multiple pregnancy losses making this book a great way to reach out to men who are suffering in this way. Includes foreword by Paul David Tripp and contributions from Nate and Lore Wilbert, Jenn Hesse, and Brian Croft. There is also space for journaling.
About the Podcast
The Hope + Help Podcast offers interviews with seasoned biblical counseling professionals and ministry leaders on a variety of topics regarding life’s challenging problems. Hosted by IBCD Outreach Director Christine M. Chappell. Listeners can subscribe on major streaming platforms such as Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Soundcloud, & iHeart.
*Amazon affiliate links are used for books featured on this webpage, at no additional cost to you. Thanks for your support!
You must be logged in to post a comment.