Subscribe and Stream On: Apple Podcast • Spotify • iHeart Radio • Soundcloud • Pandora • Amazon Music • Stitcher
About the Episode
In this episode of the Hope + Help Podcast, host Christine Chappell interviews Steve Viars about his book, Overcoming Bitterness: Moving from Life’s Greatest Hurts to a Life Filled with Joy. Some of the questions addressed in this interview are:
• What is “bitterness” and how can we define it from a biblical perspective?
• What does it mean that “Bitterness is not first a response—it is first a reality”?
• What is the “power of bitter lament?”
• Is there a place for “bitter tears” in the life of a believer? What does God’s Word say about this reality?
• What does bitterness have to do with the desires of a person’s heart?
• What are a few key biblical principals to keep in mind as we seek to overcome bitterness with God’s help?
• What does “courageous faith” have to do with melting away the bitterness in our hearts?
About the Guest
Stephen Viars has served as a pastor and biblical counselor at Faith Church and Faith Biblical Counseling Ministries in Lafayette, Indiana, since 1987. A frequent speaker at conferences, colleges, and seminaries, he also serves on the boards of the Association of Certified Biblical Counselors, the Biblical Counseling Coalition, Vision of Hope, and the Faith Community Development Corporation. The author of Putting Your Past in its Place and Loving Your Community, he and his wife, Kris, have three children and four grandchildren.
About the Book
Overcoming Bitterness: Moving from Life’s Greatest Hurts to a Life Filled with Joy
Bitterness is a destructive poison, yet we all struggle with it sometimes due to circumstances our sovereign God has allowed. In a world full of struggle, we must take care that difficult circumstances do not feed a bitter spirit within us. In this honest and hopeful book, pastor and counselor Stephen Viars shows you how to avoid the pitfalls of a bitter heart as you walk through our fallen world. When we learn to process bitterness biblically and effectively, we can move from life’s greatest hurts to a life filled with joy.
*Amazon affiliate links are used for books featured on this webpage, at no additional cost to you.
You must be logged in to post a comment.