About the Episode
In this episode of the Hope + Help Podcast, host Christine Chappell interviews Jeremy Pierre and Greg Wilson about their book, When Home Hurts: A Guide to Responding Wisely to Domestic Abuse in Your Church. Some of the questions addressed in this interview are:
• What does it look like to be an “agent of God’s love” when domestic abuse is disclosed?
• What is domestic abuse and how can we think about it biblically?
• Why can common terms associated with domestic abuse sometimes be helpful, and other times be hurtful?
• After abuse is disclosed, what are some practical next steps we can take to approach the victimized spouse?
• What are two “ditches” we want to avoid when seeking to engage perpetrators?
• How can people-helpers wisely minister to children who are witnessing abuse in the home?
• What’s the difference between the terms “victim,” “survivor,” and “overcomer”?
• How can church leaders wisely communicate with the church body about an abuse situation in their congregation?
About the Guests
Jeremy Pierre is Lawrence & Charlotte Hoover Professor of Biblical Counseling & Department Chair at the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary. He is the author of ‘The Dynamic Heart in Daily Life’ (2016), co–author of ‘The Pastor and Counseling’ (2015) and staff pastor at Clifton Baptist Church in Louisville, Kentucky.
Greg Wilson is a Licensed Professional Counselor and leads Soul Care Associates, a counseling and consulting practice in Texas. His practice areas include counseling victims and perpetrators of domestic abuse and consulting with leaders of churches and other organizations on adopting best practices for care.
This book is intended to equip pastors, church leaders and church members to respond with the heart of God to situations of domestic abuse that occur in their local church. Prioritizing the safety of the victim at all times, Jeremy Pierre and Greg Wilson seek to help you be the kind of church leader, church member, friend, parent, sibling, or neighbor who responds wisely. We want the church to be a new normal for those grown accustomed to abuse. A home that doesn’t hurt those inside, but instead welcomes them into the tender care of the Lord.
Split into three sections, When Home Hurts begins with an overview to provide a framework for understanding abuse and the people caught up in it, before moving on to advice on how to help in the short and long terms. This very practical, pastoral book acknowledges the reality and the horror of domestic abuse, but also the reality and power of God to heal. It will be a helpful guide to anyone who suspects abuse within their church family but is unsure how to help without making things worse.
About the Podcast
The Hope + Help Podcast offers interviews with seasoned biblical counseling professionals and ministry leaders on a variety of topics regarding life’s challenging problems. Hosted by IBCD Outreach Director Christine M. Chappell. Listeners can subscribe on major streaming platforms such as Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Soundcloud, & iHeart.